Shalom values your right to privacy. This policy sets out important information about privacy protections which we extend to personal information that you provide to us through our website and event bookings.
Our Privacy Notice has been designed with you in mind. How the notice applies to you will depend on the way in which you interact with us. For example, if you:
- purchase a ticket from us, we will use the information you provide us to fulfil both our and any Event Partners obligations to you in delivering that service, and, where permitted, keep you up to date about other events that may be of interest to you; and
- when you browse our sites, we use cookie to tailor your experience and hopefully provide you with a seamless experience.
Shalom has a firm commitment to your privacy. We are also bound by new sections of the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988, which set out a number of principles concerning the protection of your personal information.
Your choices and rights under each scenario are explained in more detail below.
What Information We Have & Where We Get It
When you look at this website, our Internet Service Provider makes a record of your visit and logs the following information for statistical purposes:
- your server address
- your top level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .au, .uk etc)
- the pages you accessed and documents downloaded
- the previous site you visited
- the type of browser you are using
In the event that we detect fraud or abuse of our program or our website and computers, we may use the IP address of the offender to take action against them. Ultimately this ensures greater protection for you and your personal information.
- When you buy a ticket to our events or a friend buys one for you, we will collect your information which depending on the service we are providing, may include your contact and billing information.
- When you use our website, we collect information such as the browser and device you’re using, your IP address, your location, the site you came from, what you did and didn’t use our site for, or the site you visit when you leave us. We collect this information using cookies.
- When you use a social media feature within our website or apps, and you post to social media platforms, the social media site will provide us with some information about you.
- If you have accessibility requirements, we want to make sure you have the best experience when attending events. To do this, we need to collect details of your requirements (which may involve you providing information about your mental or physical health).
- In the few instances where we collect personal information from children, we always seek parental consent and will only ever collect such information for the purposes specified when we collect it.
How We Use Your Information & Why
1. For the performance of our contract with you
We use your information when you enter into a contract with us (for example to buy a ticket) so we can:
- process your order
- take payment, and
- provide you with customer support.
2. For our legitimate business interests
- To conduct market research and analysis which helps improve and customise our products and services.
- For our marketing purposes.
- To send you customer service emails including booking confirmations and event reminders.
- To prevent or detect unlawful behaviour, to protect or enforce our legal rights or as otherwise permitted by law.
- To ensure the security of our and our Event Partners’ operations.
- To create a profile about you to help us personalise our services to you.
Demographic and profile data is only seen by Shalom’s web administrators and staff. Your e-mail address will be used for the purpose for which you have provided it. It may be added to a secure mailing list, to be viewed or utilised only for relevant mailings to you from our office. Should you attend an event that we share with another organisation, your information may be shared with the partner organisation.
Personal information held by Shalom may be disclosed to the JCA (Jewish Communal Appeal) that assists in fundraising.
Shalom will not sell or give away your personal information to any other person, company or organization, unless or you expressly agree to us doing so or it is required by law. (In the unlikely event of an investigation, a law enforcement agency or other government agency may exercise its legal authority to inspect our Internet Service Provider’s logs.)
Who We Share Your Data With & Why
- Within the Shalom organisation for the provision of services such as marketing, profiling, reporting and technical support.
- With any Event Partner should there be one for an event you attend.
- Our third-party service providers such as cloud computing providers who provide the IT infrastructure on which our products and systems are built.
- We may share your information with our Event Partners so that they can run the event and for other reasons described in their privacy policies
- Shalom will not sell or give away your personal information to any other person, company or organization, unless or you expressly agree to us doing so or you attend an event for which they are a partner.
- Government agencies or other authorised bodies where permitted or required by law.
- Any successor to all or part of our business
What about security?
Shalom has modern and robust security measures in place to protect the information you give to us from loss, misuse and alteration. Transmissions sent to or from our website are routinely monitored for quality control and we are constantly reviewing and upgrading our security measures to ensure your maximum protection.
Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. You should be aware that there are inherent risks transmitting information across the Internet. While we strive to protect your personal information from misuse, loss and unauthorised access, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us or receive from us. Shalom operates secure servers to minimise the risk of unauthorised use of information such as that pertaining to credit cards. Credit card information is encrypted using SSL certificate and no credit card information is stored on our server. For obvious reasons, please do not send credit card information through unsecured email.
What are cookies and why does Shalom use them?
Cookies can make using our website easier by storing information about your preferences and allowing you to take full advantage of the services we offer. Most Internet browsers are pre-set to accept cookies. If you prefer not to receive cookies, you can adjust your Internet browser to disable cookies or to warn you when cookies are being used. You may choose to reject a cookie that we attempt to place on your computer, however you may then be limited in your use of some areas of the website.
Cookies can be either ‘persistent’ or ‘session’ based. Persistent cookies are stored on your computer, contain an expiration date, and may be used to track your browsing behaviour upon return to the issuing web site. Session cookies are short-lived, are used only during a browsing session, and expire when you quit your browser.
Shalom’s website only uses session cookies and only during a search query of the website. Our Internet Service Provider has assured us that no cookies are employed on this website except for those associated with the search engine. Upon closing your browser the session cookie set by our website is destroyed and no personal information is maintained which might identify you should you visit our website at a later date.
Shalom’s website contains links to other websites. Shalom is, however, not responsible for the privacy practices of these other websites. We encourage you to be aware when you leave our website and to read the privacy statements of other websites that you visit. This privacy statement applies only to websites owned and operated by Shalom.
Your Choices & Rights
Where you have given us your consent, you can withdraw it by doing the following.
- To stop receiving our marketing you can change your email preferences, follow the unsubscribe instructions in any of the emails we send you or contact us and we will do it for you.
You also have rights over how your personal information is used including the right to request access to your data, and to correct it. To exercise your rights, you can Contact Us at any time.
Looking After Your Information
We have security measures in place to protect your information.
We only keep your information for the purposes outlined in this policy and for any legal purposes for which we are obliged to keep the information.
A final word privacy and security
Always remember to close your browser when you have finished your user session. This is to ensure that others cannot access your personal information and correspondence if you share a computer with someone else or are using a computer in a public place like a library or Internet cafe. You as an individual are responsible for the security of and access to your own computer.
Please be aware that whenever you voluntarily disclose personal information over the Internet (for example: in discussion forums, via email, or in chat sites) that this information can be collected and used by others. In short, if you post personal information in publicly accessible online forums, you may receive unsolicited messages from other parties in return.
Shalom’s website contains links to other websites. Shalom is not responsible for the privacy practices of these other websites. We encourage you to be aware when you leave our website and to read the privacy statements of other websites that you visit. This privacy statement applies only to websites owned and operated by Shalom.
Ultimately, you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your username and passwords and any account information. Please be careful and responsible whenever you are using the Internet and our website.