“Every year, the Shalom | Graf Oration offers the community a unique opportunity to be exposed to leading thinkers, analysts and opinion-makers who challenge conventional wisdom and stimulate us to reassess our worldview.”
What is the ‘Shalom | Graf Oration’?
The annual 'Shalom | Graf Oration' brings eminent leaders, thinkers and ideas to the Sydney Jewish community, to raise awareness about key global issues affecting the world and our community. At the same time, the 'Shalom | Graf Oration' raises funds to support Shalom’s innovative programs.
Who is the ‘Shalom | Graf Oration’ for?
The ‘Shalom | Graf Oration’ is for people of all ages who are interested in hearing more about a subject and challenges the way they think about issues. It is a forum to gain insights from leading international minds, and relate the ideas back to their lives and community.
What else you need to know about the ‘Shalom | Graf Oration’…
The ‘Shalom | Graf Oration’ was established to honour the memory of Ervin Graf OAM, a former President and Life Governor of Shalom, as well as founder of the Stockland Property Group, and his wife and partner in all things, Kitty Graf.
The first ‘Shalom | Graf Oration’ was held in October 2010.
The 2016 ‘Shalom | Graf Oration’ is a panel discussion. The topic is ‘Global issues and their impact on Israel and Australia’ and the panellists are:
- Peter Hartcher – Political and International Editor, Sydney Morning Herald
- Anthony Bubalo – Deputy Director, Lowy Institute for International Policy
- A/Prof Leanne Piggott – National Education Director, Centre for Social Impact; Middle-East expert
- Vic Alhadeff – Moderator – CEO, NSW Jewish Board of Deputies; former editor of the AJN.
Previous orators include:
- Amos Oz – iconic Israeli writer, novelist, journalist and professor of literature
- Professor Deborah Lipstadt – award-winning author and academic whose books include ‘History on Trial: My Day in Court with a Holocaust Denier’ and ‘The Eichmann Trial’
- Yossi Klein Halevi – a leading Israeli writer and journalist, whose book, ‘Like Dreamers…’ was named best Jewish book of the year 2013
- Prof Boaz Ganor – world renowned authority on counterterrorism.